Kangaroo PointSuburb Profile
Kangaroo Point – famous for its linear park, including The Cliffs reserve in the south, popular with abseilers. There are two ferry-crossing points, and the northern one at Holman Street has a heritage-listed terminal shelter.
Snapshot of Kangaroo Point
Kangaroo Point, a narrow tongue of land bordered on three sides by the Brisbane River, is immediately north of Woolloongabba. A south side inner suburb, it is three-quarters of a kilometre east of central Brisbane.
The riverside industrial sites on the east side of Kangaroo Point, overlooking Shafston Reach, have been redeveloped for high-rise apartments, and the locality is known as Dockside.
In 1919 Shafston House, Castlebar Street, was converted to Anzac Hostel for incapacitated servicemen, a site overlooking the river’s Shafston Reach. The large complex of buildings began with Henry Stuart Russel’s Shafston residence (1852), probably the third oldest surviving house in metropolitan Brisbane. It is listed on the Queensland heritage register. After the complex ceased use as a hotel in 1969 it passed through several hands before being redeveloped for Shafston Diploma College (1996). In 2004 Castlebar Street became better known as the address of a riverside ‘enclave’ comprising 38 residences with private jetties and starting prices of $1.69 million. Kangaroo Point has become an address for the well-heeled.
The western side of Kangaroo Point overlooks the Town Reach of the Brisbane River. Much of the shoreline is a linear park, including The Cliffs reserve in the south, popular with abseilers. The reserve leads to Mount Olivet hospital, a Sisters of Charity hospice and associated care facilities built in 1957. There are two ferry-crossing points, and the northern one at Holman Street has a heritage-listed terminal shelter. The Mormons acquired a large site on River Terrace, opening a vast Tabernacle there in 2003.
Kangaroo Point’s southern boundaries have been Leopard, Vulture and Wellington Streets for over 100 years.